How to Make it Look Like You’re Home
The short dark days of winter can create an optimal environment for burglars. One key way to discourage break-ins is to have your home appear as if someone is always home. Smart home systems are an excellent way to achieve this effect, but homes lacking this technology can still mask the vacancy of your home. The following tips work while you’re on vacation, or just have to work late.
- Keep a timer on lights, indoor and outdoor.
- Have neighbors put trash and recycle bins out and away on schedule.
- Keep your extra car (or have neighbors park theirs) in the driveway, where it is visible.
- Vary routines.
- Have the mail and newspapers stopped (or picked up by neighbors) if you’ll be away for more than a day or two.
- Post photos on social media from your home. Whether you’re on vacation or at a holiday party, “friends” of friends can be clued in if you check in or post pics from places other than your home.
- Leave a television or radio on.
- Keep walkways and driveways clear of leaves and snow.
Category Real Estate
Lyon Real Estate
Ranked the number one brokerage in annual home sales in the greater Sacramento region by the Sacramento Business Journal, Lyon Real Estate has served the area for over 70 years. In 2017, the company closed 7,333 transactions worth a total of $3 billion in sales volume. Lyon Real Estate has 950 agents in 17 offices located throughout the region. The company is a member of the Leading Real Estate Companies of the World®, the largest network of premier locally-branded firms, as well as LeadingRE’s Luxury Portfolio International® program. In addition to its real estate services, Lyon Real Estate offers RELO Direct, a global relocation program. For more information about Lyon Real Estate, click to GoLyon.com and follow us on Facebook.com/LyonRealEstate.