Don’t let those few spring showers fool you – the entire state is still in a drought. The City of Sacramento recently adopted a Stage 2 Water Shortage Contingency Plan to help preserve the water in Folsom Lake and limit the strain on existing water supplies due to a record low amount of snow and waterfall this winter. No matter where you live or what agencies oversee your community, watching your water usage is of paramount importance.
Here are some tips to help conserve water this season:
- If you must water lawns, limit watering to twice a week in the evenings or early mornings (check with your provider to see if there are specified days of use). You can also look into using a smart timer or changing the type of grass you plant. Check with your local nursery about native and/or deep-rooted grasses, as they can go longer intervals between watering.
- Adjust your lawn mower to the height of 2.5 to 3 inches. Taller grasses shade roots and retain more soil moisture.
- When doing laundry, run full loads to get the most out of the wash and rinse. Washing only a few items is simply wasteful.
- Turn your sink off while washing teeth, hands, face, etc. (this can save upwards of ten gallons a day).
- Take shorter showers or invest in a water-efficient shower head.
- Use the garbage disposal sparingly (try composting).
- Collect the water you use while rinsing fruits and veggies to water household plants (keep a small pitcher next to your sink for an easy and convenient reminder).
For more water-saving ideas, go to www.wateruseitwisely.com
Lyon Real Estate
Ranked the number one brokerage in annual home sales in the greater Sacramento region by the Sacramento Business Journal, Lyon Real Estate has served the area for over 70 years. In 2017, the company closed 7,333 transactions worth a total of $3 billion in sales volume. Lyon Real Estate has 950 agents in 17 offices located throughout the region. The company is a member of the Leading Real Estate Companies of the World®, the largest network of premier locally-branded firms, as well as LeadingRE’s Luxury Portfolio International® program. In addition to its real estate services, Lyon Real Estate offers RELO Direct, a global relocation program. For more information about Lyon Real Estate, click to GoLyon.com and follow us on Facebook.com/LyonRealEstate.